Dr Nick Young. Photograph by Norman Jones.
Thatcham House was built in about 1869 for Reverend Hezekiah and Isabel Martin. The Reverend Hezekiah was vicar of Thatcham from 1866 until 1889. The house originally contained 30 rooms. The true use of the tower is unknown; however it is almost the same height as the tower of St. Mary's Church. The Reverend Hezekiah and his wife moved into the property shortly after construction was finished in 1871. The Martin family moved out in 1889 when Mr John Hart Player took up residence, and later in 1902 the Turner family moved in. They stayed until 1946 when the house was put up for sale.
A large audience gathered to hear Dr David Peacock give a talk on the place names of Berkshire. David noted that whilst many names date to the Anglo-Saxon period, some have their roots much earlier dating from pre-Roman times. The later includes the River Thames (Temesa) and Rive Kennet (Cynetan). David noted several place names and where they originate from including: Combe – adapted in to Anglo-Saxon and means a bowl shaped valley. An example would be Combe Town, which today we know as Compton.