The second and last of our trips in 2010, organised by Thatcham Historical Society, took place on the 11th September. The trip saw members of the society, and guests from other societies including the U3A, and friends and family, visit the Natural History Museum. Most of us spent the day in the Natural History Museum, others also visited the Science Museum and the Victoria and Albert Museum.
Thatcham Historical Society
Tonight, 28th June 2010, we had Roger Day talk about "The East Woodhay Heinkel." Roger noted that his interest started when a find, 7 or 8 foot tall came into his possession. The find, which was part of a Heinkel aircraft, sparked his interest to find out how it came to be found in Fullers Lane, just west of Woolton Hill and the only one within a 25-mile radius. The aircraft that the part was from was a bomber and would have been targeting Avon mouth Docks, although it could have been another target.
The first of two full day trips organised by Thatcham Historical Society took place on the 3rd July 2010 and saw members of the society, and guests from other societies including the U3A, visit Hampton Court Palace, home to King Henry VIII.
A large audience braved the heat tonight, with a few smart people bringing fans, to keep cool, 24th May 2010, to hear PhD student Will Farrell talk on “Industrial Developments and the Spitalfields Weavers.”
Will showed examples of some of the products of the weavers dating to the 1750’s. He noted that most patterns reflected natural history. The materials used for men’s waistcoats and women’s dresses. Will did note that styles changed regularly, every decade or so between 1690 and 1800.
A large audience gathered to hear Dr David Peacock give a talk on the place names of Berkshire. David noted that whilst many names date to the Anglo-Saxon period, some have their roots much earlier dating from pre-Roman times. The later includes the River Thames (Temesa) and Rive Kennet (Cynetan). David noted several place names and where they originate from including: Combe – adapted in to Anglo-Saxon and means a bowl shaped valley. An example would be Combe Town, which today we know as Compton.