We have been writing articles for The Local Buzz magazine for a little while. Here is a copy of one of the articles:
Many historic buildings are hidden in plain sight. For example Thatcham House, Thatcham Farm, Monks Chambers and Crown House are all historic buildings that can easily be seen within a few minutes of the town centre. However how many know that there was once a castle a short distance away?
Chamberhouse was once part of the Crookham Estate. It is commonly thought the name is derived from the 13th century owner, Roger de la Chambre. The estate became the property of Sir John Pury in 1445 and in the same year is the first mention of the “Manor of Chamberhouse”, albeit a sub-manor of Crookham. Pury purchased additional land including a mill, Chamberhouse Mill.
Pury was granted a royal license to embattle and crenellate the manor. He did so adding a moat too. In addition over 300 acres of land were turned into a park; Pury still having large amount of additional woodland and meadow. Thus the estate became known as Chamberhouse Castle.
The deer park became disused after 100 years and the manor house, or rather castle, stood until the 18th century when it was demolished. A new building(s) was erected and can be seen at Chamberhouse today via the bridle path that passes through the estate.